Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day!

  I hope everyone got the chance to see the Inauguration of President Barack Obama today.  Personally, I can't remember the last time I felt this patriotic.  Even though our country has a lot of things that need fixing right now, today was a good time to be able to set those worries aside and feel patriotic and hopeful. Our country has truly come a long, long way.  It was merely 60 years ago when people couldn't eat in the same restaurants as other people just because of the color of their skin and now, we have a man of color in our nation's highest office.
   Sadly though, there was a sour note to today for me.  When my little sister came home from school, she told me about the attitudes of some of her fellow high schoolers on the subject of Barack Obama.  She told me that the majority of kids at her school were saying how upset they were about the situation and how much they hate Barack Obama.  These kids, no doubt, have been listening to their parents views on the subject.  I think it is sad that so many parents here in central Utah choose not to educate their kids and teach them to think for themselves.  It is also sad that these kids won't have any fond memories of today's historic events.  These high school kids didn't know anything about Obama's policies or stances on any issues.  They have no idea why they hate Barack Obama so much.  They simply hate him because their parents do.  I am very thankful that my parents have taught me to think for myself.  They have never tried to sway my political views.  They trust that I am smart enough and educated enough to form my own opinions.   
  Even if you didn't vote for President Obama and even if you don't agree with most of his policies, I hope that you will still support him as our president.  I, for one, am excited to see what the next few years will bring and I hope that when the next four years are up, President Obama will have given us all a reason to make us want to re-elect him. 


4 comments:

WINTERS said...

That is very inspirational. But what would you do if I ran for president? Would you want to assassinate me, or vote for me?

Hannah said...

Well Winters, it would depend on whether or not I agreed with your ideas. I think I would be able to restrain myself from assassinating you though. :)

kyns said...

hannah, i was thinking this exact same thing yesterday! i'm finding out that you are my soulmate of thoughts. I think regardless of political standpoints, the hope that Obama gives the majority of the people in this country is a blessing itself. Thanks for being cool, and thanks for spanking feastman so i don't have to.

SweatyShembach said...

First of all, Winters, I would vote for you in hopes that you win, and then I would assassinate you just so you don't get a big head. Hanna, you are so correct on the idiots living in Central, and indeed, all of Utah. While I like Utah as a whole, the people here are quite single minded and they all tend to follow the crowd. This goes for the liberals as well as the conservatives. Nobody seems to make up their own minds. If you are honest with yourself, you will be a little bit of both. No one should be so one sided. Mix it up a little.